Visitors to Greenport on Long Island on Memorial Day weekend, beginning Friday, May 25th, will be treated to a variety of entertainments.
This is a fantastic chance to see some of the world’s most beautiful ships under full sail. The ships will arrive on Friday the 25th and will stay until departure on Tuesday May the 29th. While the ships are docked in Greenport, all visitors are welcome to step aboard and chat with the members of the ships crews. The overwhelming beauty of the ships on the move in full sail is magnificent, being able to step aboard and chat with the crew is the hypothetical icing on the cake.
Some of the ships you can expect to see in port are:
- The Pride of Baltimore
- The Pride of Baltimore II
- Picton Castle
- The H.M.S. Bounty
- John J. Harvey Fireboat
- The Lynx
These boats are part of the Tall Ships Challenge Race Series that originates in Savannah, Georgia. Once the vessels depart from Greenport, they are headed to Newport, Rhode Island, and then onto Halifax and Nova Scotia. The ships are commemorating the bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812.
Visitors who want to tour the ships and interact with crew members will be able to do so from Saturday, May 26th until Monday, May 28th from 10am until 6pm. There is no charge for children 12 and under, adult tickets are $7, and senior or veteran tickets are $5. The Shorecrest Bed and Breakfast Inn will offer free Tall Ships tickets to those who stay over for the three night Memorial Day weekend. While visiting the ships don’t forget to check out the vendors in town and on Front Street. They will close each day at 6pm. Also, remember to bring your camera!
Long Island Wine Country Spring Passports
While enjoying your stay on Long Island during Memorial Day weekend 2012, take the time to enjoy the 2012 Long Island Wine Country Spring Passport event. This event began on March 31st and runs through June 2nd. Long Island wine aficionados can pick up their passport for free at any one of the following participating wineries.
- Anthony Nappa
- Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard
- Bedell Cellars
- Castello di Borghese Vineyard & Winery
- Clovis Point
- Comtesse Therese Winery & Bistro
- Corey Creek
- Diliberto Winery
- Duck Walk Vineyards North
- Duck Walk Vineyards South
- Empire State Cellars
- Gramercy Vineyards
- Harbes Family Farm & Winery
- Jamesport Vineyards
- Jason’s Vineyard
- Lieb Family Cellars
- Macari Vineyards & Winery
- Martha Clara
- Old Field
- Peconic Bay
- Sannino Bella Vita
- Sherwood House
- Shinn Estate
- Sparkling Pointe
- Waters Crest
- Wolffer Estate
Those who visit at least ten of the wineries that are participating in this event will receive a complementary tasting of a listed featured wine along with the purchase of any in-house tastings. Visitors should have their passports stamped at the wineries after purchasing a minimum of one bottle of that winery or vineyard’s featured wines. Visitors who have ten stamps on their passports will receive:
- A chance at winning great prizes that include a fabulous East End Experience and more.
- The experience of delightful wines and new wineries to visit.
- 2 tickets for admission for the price of one to the 2012 Taste of Summer event at the Fairgrounds Barn in Old Bethpage Village.
To take advantage of your prizes you must:
- Turn in your stamped passport at one of the participating wineries before June 1st, 2012.
- Mail it to LIWC before May 28th, 2012.
- Bring your stamped passport to the 2012 Taste of Summer event.